"You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut!" ~ Dr. Seuss

Thursday, June 18, 2015

She Wasn't Quoting The Beatles...

My brain today is quite like the weather alerts that keep showing up on my phone or the horrifying news reports that keep showing up in our trending bars: Stormy with a chance of tsunamis, hurricanes, and tropical mayhem. I guess it is just all the trying-to-get-back-to-normal after what our family went through last week with losing Mom. Of course, I never claimed to be normal in the first place, but I am trying to get back to my version of it anyway. I'm not sure if it is the catching up or settling in or hormones or depletion of calories or caffeine as compared to what I took in last week, but I feel like I'm driving around in my head blindfolded and with one flat tire. I've got so many things to tend to that I'm not sure where to let my thoughts land first. I'd like to blame it on the weather, but I'm a complete pluviophile, so the rain should be making me calmer. Really, it's anything but. I hope brain aerobics burn calories, because mine's been doing zumba all day.

Today, mostly, while trying to concentrate on work and other important things, I am fretting over money. Imagine that! I've got a small gas bill due tomorrow, I owe my generous sister and my long-suffering and wonderfully kind landlord debts I am in a hurry to pay, and setting the books (accounting and otherwise) aside last week has everything in a bit of a tumult. It's a lot to straighten out, and a worrier like me has trouble sorting things out in the first place. The people in my life are far more patient with me than I am with myself, and I am thankful for that. I'm kinda-sorta hyper about it all, but I've had worse freak-outs before. Nevertheless, my wise-beyond-her-years daughter had four words of advice for me this morning.

She was not born in the 1970s. She doesn't even know who Paul McCartney is, and when I showed her a picture of him, she said, "Oh. Just another old dude who sang once." She does, however, know God, so she offered a word-quartet of sage advice: "Let it be, Mom," she said, her own teenage-i-fied version of John 14:27. Rather than whispering her words of wisdom, she went on to scold me for worrying all the time, which was as humorous as it was convicting. I don't typically condone sassing of one's mother, but in this case, she was only preaching at me with all due love and respect. Mr. Cosby was right: Kids do say the darnedest things...and pudding pops were delicious.  (Because she says the darnedest things, by the way, yet another essay I wrote is now to be published in a book called Christmas Memories 2, so her wise words from early 2000-something will be commemorated in print. lol)

If you read my blog more than once or twice a year, you will find a recurring theme: I worry, the people around me remind me I don't need to, and God lovingly makes a fool out of me for it. One of these days, maybe I'll put a little more stock in what Mr. McCartney, John, and Cissy have to say about that, so my brain can be more of a gentle summer rain than a monsoon.

I will work the rest of the afternoon and possibly soothe my evening with the smooth moves of the Dayton Contemporary Dance Company at the Summer Arts Festival. As I do, I will do my best to let it be, because whether a glass is half-empty or half-full, sometimes we just have to put it down. (Thanks to my friend Joan Tinker for posting a story today that inspired this thought! https://www.facebook.com/mindfulschools/photos/a.203073253066340.49931.165948186778847/598713920168936/?type=1&theater )



P.S. I realize this blog may inspire you to slather me with Frozen-esque "Let it go's," but I implore you not to. I couldn't stand the movie, and any mention of it only adds a winter chill to my already stormy brain! :D

4 comments:

  1. The only thing I can say is that Bill Cosby did not come up with the adage 'Kids Say The Darnedest Things." That was Art Linkletter, long before you were born, and it was a segment on his afternoon TV show where they had 4 kids of very young age for him to interview, and they would indeed say the darnedest things! :) Bill may have said it occasionally, but Art came up with it in the 50s. Just FYI, Mizz Editor. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know. I am aware of and have watched the Linkletter versions, but I was also thinking of pudding pops (and wanting one), so I had to take some creative liberty. :D Also, editors don't know everything...and Bill Cosby is alive in my lifetime. lol.

      Delete
  2. I must agree, pudding pops do sound like a good idea. Just wish they were on my diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. They have these kits now to make your own, but too many calories!! Though we do eat a lot of sf pudding.

      Delete