"You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut!" ~ Dr. Seuss

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Sour Grapes and a Little Sugar

Today, my brain is very full. I woke up and watched an episode of Hell's Kitchen over breakfast, so maybe Chef Ramsay's yelling started my day off on the wrong foot - but, gosh, I have SUCH a crush on that guy, and older, hyper, foul-mouthed, angry, blond Scots in chef's coats are not typically my thing! I have just been thinking too much lately. I try to avoid it, but occasionally, it's as if my head is on DEFCON-5, particularly when I'm on edge about things. I have been very busy working today, but also ranting about things on Facebook, everything from some idiotic Oxford chancellor saying we overreacted to 9/11 to flag-burning and disrespecting to our Disaster-in-Chief Obola to horrible satellite and AT&T service to abortion to Bruce Jenner's nonsense to Disney and remakes. My good friend Marilyn C. even wisely observed: "Geez, Autie, you are really ranting today. Did you eat sour grapes?" and of course my long-suffering friend Wes responded to my Frozen rant with "Do you want to build a snowman?" which only made me want to rant more. 

There are days when the trending bar" on Facebook has me so depressed, angry, anxious, riled up, and sad that I want to yell to the heavens, "Why have You not destroyed this planet already!??! Look at this mess! All that business about good being seen as bad and bad being seen is good... It's happening, like, now, in every facet of our lives! This whole place is twisted so bad that sometimes I think aliens abducted me and dropped me off on some other planet that I do not understand. Please just send an Earth-sized asteroid and put us all out of one another's misery and Yours!" Truly, it's enough to give God migraines, and I don't see why He's put  up with us this long. Then I realize that I don't get to be the Master of the universe. Even He-Man wasn't, in spite of Castle Grayskull and his big green cat. When I calm down a bit, which I will, I will be glad God has decided not to take my advice. In fact, it's best that He never, ever does.

Sure, my grapes are sour today, but there's been a little sugar too. Between ranting and working, it has been somewhat of a happy hump day. I lost 2.4 pounds (I'm up to 151.5 lost now, and I have 17.5 to go to reach my goal!). Cissy finished her junior year of high school with straight-A's. (SO proud of my girl!). I ran into my cousin Zach at Kroger, and it is always great to see the cuzzies I spent my entire childhood with. We found snack crackers that were free with some coupons I had. I am getting some work done for some of my clientele, and another re-hired me for a new project. I am now far closer to haing the rent than I was Monday morning, and my landlord has been super patient about it. I was even able to pay my car insurance and finally - after four years of loathsome reception and horrible customer service and ridiculously high bills - I shipped that God-awful DISH equipment back. My coffee turned out perfect this morning, and my eggs weren't burnt (which is saying a lot when I'm cooking; please don't tell Chef Ramsay). It's even the birthday of my wonderful brother-in-law and my sweet preacher's wife! So, it's just one of those days when my brain is on overload, full of good and bad things, serious and casual things, what-ifs, maybes, oh-no's, uh-oh's, and yays.

In the days of old, it was hard to rant. I had to type (yes, as in a typewriter, of all things) that angry Letter to the Editor, actually snail mail it to the News-Sun editor, then wait for the call to give them permission to run it, then wait another week for them to print it, then read the editorials for a couple weeks after to see if anyone retorted. Facebook makes all of this far too easy, and it's instant. I suppose I shouldn't share my opinions so often or so blatantly or in such long comments, stati, and diatribes and soapboxes, but so be it. In the grand scheme of things, it's better to have a full mind than an empty one. At least it means I'm alive, right? I'll simmer down soon...until I find something else to rant about.

No comments:

Post a Comment